Chef John Selick is trying to change the world… at least the world of hospital food. By bringing a passion for fresh, quality ingredients – rather than an affinity for frozen vegetables and convenience foods – he is determined to bring refined healthy cooking techniques to the world of healthcare. After graduating from the Pennsylvania Institute of Culinary Arts in 2000, John moved to Washington, D.C. to be part of the opening team for the Five Diamond award winning Maestro at the Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner. His next step was at the doorsteps of the White House working for Todd Gray at his Equinox restaurant. The exposure of working for a chef who only cooked with local and seasonal ingredients began to shape the culinary style that inspires him to this day. In 2004 he joined Sodexo Healthcare and is now the Senior Culinary Manager for University Hospitals of Cleveland. He has since received numerous recognitions and awards, including:
- Chef of the Year from the American Culinary Federation Cleveland Chapter
- Dr. LJ Minor Chef Professionalism Northeast Region Award Winner
- Certified Executive Chef and Certified Culinary Administrator from the American Culinary Federation
- World Certified Executive Chef from the World Association of Chefs Society
- Invited to cook at the James Beard House
- Inducted into the American Academy of Chefs
- Inducted into the Pittsburgh Chaîne des Rôtisseurs
- Inducted into the Les Amis d’Escoffier Society of Chicago
- Inducted into the Disciples of Escoffier International, USA
- President of the ACF Cleveland Chapter, Inc.
- March of Dimes Honorary Chef
Chef Selick is also a supporter of many causes and charitable organizations in his community and can often be found cooking at events for Autism Speaks and the Cleveland Food Bank.
- Cystic Fibrosis Hero of Hope Award